Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Sigma Chapter Historian Joe Angle Prepares for the 125th Anniversary Celebration!


Here is a post from Joe Angle (Sigma '11), current Sigma Chapter Historian:

My name is Joe Angle and I am Sigma Chapter's newest Historian. My blog is the first in a series which will contain blogs from each of Sigma Chapter's new cabinet members expressing our experience thus far as executive members of Sigma Chapter. I must say I am very excited to be a part of this chapter's cabinet after my initiation last spring. This has been a great opportunity for me to get strongly involved in Phi Gamma Delta and make the most of my undergraduate experience at Sigma Chapter.

Since my installation in December, I have already experienced a wide variety of challenges ranging from risk management violations to preparing the house to look its best for the Sigma's upcoming 125th Anniversary. One thing I immediately realized was that the actual "duties" of my position are by no means the hardest part of the job but rather the managerial duties and increased responsibility have claimed much more of my time and attention. As the chapter Historian, my position does not require as much from me on a daily basis unlike that of the chapter President. I have taken it upon myself to fill this void in several ways. Basically, I look to see where something could be changed or improved in hopes of making Sigma Chapter better that it was when I joined. For example, one of the first things I did, though very miniscule, was to create name labels for the mailboxes which solved the problem of mail just being thrown on the tables in the back lounge. Another way in which I had hoped to better the fraternity was to seek out a philanthropy event for the American Red Cross. This idea came about when active brother and chapter Treasurer Nate Dreyfuss informed me of the international fraternity's designation of the Red Cross as Phi Gamma Delta's international philanthropy. I met with Springfield's Red Cross branch manager Mike Larson and asked him what we could do to benefit the organization. He explained to me that there was a dodge ball tournament already set up to occur on Wittenberg's campus which even involved the Springfield community. He referred me to Wittenberg's Greek Life director Casey Stevens for more information. With her approval and the generous support of the brothers in the house, we are now a co-sponsor of this event which is to be held at the end of March. Not only will this benefit the Red Cross by hopefully raising over $1000 in philanthropy donations but it also represents Fiji well in both the Wittenberg community as well as the Springfield community. The most current and expansive challenge I have undertaken is leading and overseeing house improvements for the 125th Anniversary. With the help of our newly created "house improvement committee" and several of the graduate brothers, I am attempting to make 20 West look its best for this benchmark date. Broken doors must be fixed, walls need to be painted and re-plastered, the carpets need to be cleaned and much more. With my acceptance of this duty, it is safe to say that I have found myself leading in ways that stray far from the documented duties of the chapter Historian but I believe initiative like this is exactly what Sigma Chapter needs to prosper and survive for another 125 years.

Overall, my experience as a chapter officer has instilled much pride into me and I look forward to what the rest of my term has to offer but most importantly I am always looking for what I can offer the brothers of this chapter whether it be through physical service, advice or valuable connections. This is one of the most rewarding experiences in my life thus far and I am truly thankful to be allowed this opportunity. Proud.
You can reach Joe at s11.jangle@wittenberg.edu

No comments: