Friday, March 13, 2009

Sigma Chapter..."And The Rest of the Story"

Remember Paul Harvey? (No, he wasn't a Fiji.) He died last week, after a 50-year-plus career on the radio.

Among Paul Harvey's signature commentaries was his regular "And the rest of the story..." anecdotes. He would begin by citing some well-known fact about someone or some thing, and then give some entertaining, riveting little-known background passage that enlightened the listener.

Recently, I received the following excerpt from an e-mail message from Sigma Graduate Brother Lowell Hedlund (1978): "Skip, your kind words and pleasant memories are what I treasure most about PGD... Proud to be a Fiji!"

And now, the rest of the story...

I wrote this to Lowell the night before: "Honestly, although I’ve been a member of PGD for over 30 years, it’s still really hard NOT to see your name and think of you up at the Treasurer’s Desk in the House! I’ve worked with over 30 chapter treasurers during that time, but I (swear) I can still see you up at the desk. Night after night… You were a wonderful role model for me when I was an undergraduate, and I only have fond memories of the key role you played in Sigma Chapter in the late 1970’s."

Lowell and his fellow Brothers were an important reason why I pledged Sigma Chapter back in 1977. They were impressive, studied hard (Lowell was pre-law, which is what I wanted to do), and were leaders in the chapter and on campus. They seemed different from the other fraternity men I met in the other houses at Wittenberg. They had class...

As we approach our 125th anniversary Pig Dinner celebration in a few weeks, I find myself recalling historical anecdotes from my 32-year affiliation with the Sigma Chapter of Phi Gamma Delta at Wittenberg. Not just of the 3-1/2 years I spent in Springfield as a Fiji, but of the literally thousands of Sigma Brothers I've met and come to know as an advisor since I graduated in 1980. Impressive young men, dedicated and ambitious, and with one distinction from the others -- they had class.

125 years' of Sigma Chapter is impressive, but I'm intrigued by what lies ahead for our fraternity's future. It's the next 125 years -- "the rest of the story" -- that drives my passion to do everything we can to ensure that tomorrow's Sig Fijis have the same opportunities we had to grow, learn, develop, and mature under Phi Gamma Delta's guidance and principles.

Paul Harvey would have been impressed with Sigma Chapter, and its storied and classy history. I know I am...

Fraternally,

Skip Buckley '80

No comments: